Childbirth is a critical moment and a procedure that all obstetricians and staff in the labor room are thoroughly trained to perform. Unfortunately, sometimes negligence or error on the part of hospital staff can put both the mother and child in grave danger or even lead to injury or death.
If your child has suffered a birth injury caused by medical negligence, you need an attorney with the knowledge, experience, and financial resources to see a medical malpractice lawsuit through to a successful end. At Jacobs & Jacobs, our medical malpractice attorneys have been fighting for families of injured children for many years. We have the experience and medical understanding needed to hold the responsible parties accountable.
If your child has suffered a birth injury, call Jacobs & Jacobs today at 203-777-2300. We understand the emotional toll a birth injury takes on the entire family, and we are committed to helping you get the results you deserve.
How Jacobs & Jacobs Handles Birth Injury Cases
Our lawyers will evaluate the injury and determine what doctors and staff should have done to protect the child. Birth injuries can include cerebral palsy from lack of oxygen, failure of doctors to perform a Caesarian section to avoid a traumatic delivery, Erb's palsy or shoulder dystocia (brachial plexus injury) caused by a traumatic delivery, or developmental delays caused by lack of oxygen. Other issues include:
- Cephalopelvic disproportion (CPD): Serious injuries can result if the doctor or nurse does not recognize the symptoms of CPD.
- Forceps injuries: Forceps are still used in some cases, and their use can lead to injuries if used inappropriately or incorrectly.
- Lack of oxygen: When a baby is deprived of oxygen before or during birth, it can lead to lasting injuries and complications.
- Postpartum complications: A mother and child need special care immediately after the birth. Failure of a medical professional to treat symptoms during this critical time can lead to injuries.
- Wrongful death of child: No amount of compensation can make up for the loss of your child. We can help you through this difficult process, and we can help you hold the negligent medical professionals accountable for your loss.
- Wrongful death of mother: If you lost your spouse, partner, or other close relative during delivery, we can help you. We are experienced at handling wrongful death cases.
Because our attorneys collaborate with medical experts throughout the United States, we are able to find experts with the experience necessary for a particular case. We will evaluate whether the doctors, hospital, and staff followed accepted standards of care. We will explore whether the injury could have been prevented.
Our law firm consults with life-care planners to assess the child's special needs—surgery, medical care, adaptive equipment, attendant care, special education, and rehabilitation. We also consult with economists to determine the costs of care over the child's expected lifetime.
Please call 203-777-2300 or email us if you or a loved one have suffered consequences from an injury at birth. We fight for the results you deserve.