Not every surgical procedure will produce the hoped-for results, but every procedure should be performed according to accepted medical standards. If you suspect that surgical errors caused a loved one's injury or death, talk to a malpractice lawyer at Jacobs & Jacobs.
How Jacobs & Jacobs Handles Cases of Surgical Errors
Jacobs & Jacobs has the experience, knowledge and financial resources to pursue cases involving surgical errors. Our attorneys have access to medical experts throughout the country who can offer expert opinions on surgical errors.
Surgical errors can occur in different ways:
- Failure to identify and protect critical structures: The wrong surgical incision can mean a severed nerve, a perforated organ, or a damaged artery. Failing to employ the proper skill is a surgical error that can mean serious injury or death for a patient.
- Failure to explain the risks: Every patient should understand the risks going into surgery. The surgeon has a responsibility to discuss the possible results and possible alternatives to surgery before the patient undergoes surgery.
- Operating on the wrong body part: When the wrong foot is amputated or the wrong breast removed, the resulting injury to the patient is emotionally and physically devastating.
- Failure to supervise: Experience is vital to a successful surgery. When inexperienced doctors operate, there must be adequate supervision of the procedure. Failure to supervise is a surgical error and a hospital error.
- Unnecessary surgery: All surgery carries some risk, so doctors need to be sure the surgery is the best course of action. Misdiagnosis can lead to unnecessary surgery.
If you believe you or a loved one has been the victim of a surgical error, call Jacobs & Jacobs at 203-777-2300.